Saturday, March 27, 2010

Album Review - She & Him


One half Zooey Deschanel, go to girl for cute indie films and one half Matt Ward, rootsy guitarist makes up She & Him. She & Him have an instantly recognizable sound, a smooth, easy listening beach vibe. Apart they both have their successful careers, but as a collaborative band they have joined fates in their new album, Volume One. Ward creates melodies and arrangements that compliment Deschanel's timeless and empathetic voice perfectly. The album has its' wins and its' looses in my mind. Songs that take the beachy Hawaii vibe too far go against the album, like Change Is Hard/I Should Have Known Better. The ones that don't have too much of an old time vibe are really the gems in my opinion, like Sentimental Heart, Why Do You Let Me Stay Here? and I Thought I Saw Your Face Today. Those winners are smile makers which I can't picture Deschanel not making. The ones with a diner feel, like I Was Made For You, I could go without, but are still a nice listen. A beautiful voice draws you in and makes you feel comfortable in the melodies and notes of the songs, which soon become familiar and known to you. A must listen for Summer (pun intended for (500) days fans).

THREE AND A HALF LAMBS OUT OF FIVE POSSIBLE LAMBS

No comments:

Post a Comment