Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Vampire Weekend : Contra Tour


All my efforts were exhausted when trying to get tickets to the Vampire Weekend show in Toronto at the Sound Academy, until a saviour came and put me on the guest list. Never having been to a concert at a club before or one by Vampire Weekend I had no idea what to expect. Arriving was exciting, seeing the long line up at the door, security, and the swarms of mature teenagers and young adults. It was a sea of indie kids, mostly with guys in plaid shirts and dark rimmed glasses, clones all over the place. So I waited patiently in line, anxious to get to the front. I walked past the VIP entrance, because there was no way that that is where I was supposed to be, but upon saying I was on the guest list that's where I was sent.

Convincing them that it was me who was supposed to be on the guest list and sent up stairs was a challenge due to a bitchy woman determined to make things difficult, but a reasonable man saw the flaws and fought for me. I eventually got a wrist band and worked my way upstairs, not knowing what was at the top.

My eyes were shocked when I entered the VIP section, for people who worked high up, their friends and for the press. It was a room above the main floor over looking the stage filled with white leather couches and ottomans, modern light fixtures and a stocked bar looking towards a massive screen which featured the stage. You could stand at the edge of the railing, not uncomfortable at all and see the stage with probably one of the best views of the house. I was so thankful for where I was, because if I was down with the ticket holders, I'd be in the back and miserable not being able to see.

The opening band was ok, nothing much to stick with me, except the main singer's silly feet that would turn towards eachother and he'd bend his legs and bounce :)

Then came Vampire Weekend, the main event.

All I can say is wow.

I've been to my fair share of shows, and this was(sorry Maroon 5) the best, for many reasons :

- Their music is impeccable, not one bad song, pointless line or annoying tune

- Their look was adorable, the main singer, Ezra Koenig knew exactly how to move and what to do when, nothing looked overly silly but just silly enough that you'd smile

- Ezra's voice was smooth and sounded just like on the record, if not better because it was live

- The whole band's use of instruments was varied and skilled

- The visuals were perfect and simple, their record cover in the back ground with chandeliers (one of their signatures) hanging from the ceiling. The lighting got a little bit annoying sometimes, when it would get in your eyes, but added alot of drama and accentuated many parts

- The venue was great, fun, small and intimate. We were all together in experiencing this amazing concert and it felt like that. (Downfall of venues like the ACC or Molson Amp.)


Over all, and amazing experience. With every listen of their song I'm taken back to dancing and singing over the railing, with no cares in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment